Did you hear all the screaming yesterday? Top Gun star Val Kilmer caused a disturbance on Facebook Tuesday when he shared a post claiming he was a lock to return to his role of Iceman in Top Gun 2.
He revealed that he just got offered the role and said “yes” without even reading the script. Kilmer also gave examples of other things he’d automatically say “yes” to, not realizing that would confuse people and make them believe the fine folks mentioned in his Facebook post would also be working on the sequel.
The post was shared over 1,000 times in just one hour and several websites picked up the story, but no one knew exactly what Mr. Kilmer meant. Did he just confirm that Top Gun 2 was locked and loaded? Ready to go? WOULD FILMING START NEXT WEEK?
No, no, no! The 55-year-old actor jumped back on his Facebook page to clear up the confusion, “Being offered a role is very different from doing a role. [It’s] an innocent mistake. It was just such a wonderful phone call with my agent.” He wrote.
He also made it clear that Gene and Francis aren’t involved…
So what does this all mean? It means we are that much closer to a sequel. Kilmer being offered the role is a very good sign. Tom Cruise has not publicly accepted a role to return; however, we know there won’t be a sequel without him. The production company handling the film has already said, “There is no Top Gun without Maverick.”
Justin Marks (The Jungle Book) has been working hard on the script, and everyone seems pleased with what he has created so far. Things are looking good for a sequel.[mashshare]