The risk of making all these sequels and remakes with the stars of the original films is that they’re aging.
Harrison Ford is pushing 80-years-old, and they have him out here doing fight scenes in the upcoming Indiana Jones 5 flick.
And unsurprisingly, he was injured while filming. Sources say he suffered a shoulder injury while rehearsing a fight scene. It doesn’t look like it will delay production right this minute, but director James Mangold will be forced to shoot around the injury.
A delay could happen…
Director James Mangold will continue to shoot around him while the appropriate course of treatment is evaluated. The filming schedule will be reconfigured as needed in the coming weeks. Disney has set the Lucasfilm action thriller for a July 29, 2022 release date.
Production started on the action film earlier this month in Pinewood and several other locations in the U.K.
In addition to Ford, this movie will star Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Mads Mikkelsen and Boyd Holbrook.
This isn’t the first time Ford has been injured on set. He suffered a pretty serious injury when his leg was broken by a hydraulic door while on set of the Millennium Falcon spaceship in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
It doesn’t sound like this shoulder injury is quite as serious, so hopefully he’ll be back at it in no time.
The fifth film in the Indian Jones franchise is slowly putting together a pretty talented cast. We already knew Harrison Ford was returning, so that’s covered.
And just last week, we heard that Phoebe Waller-Bridge would be joining him as the co-lead.
Now, a new report claims Mads Mikkelsen is joining the project as well. No word on who he will be playing, but the dude is such a talented actor, he could really play anyone.
As mentioned previously, James Mangold is taking over the directing chair from Steven Spielberg.
The hope is to start production this summer, with Mangold meeting with other talent for other roles in preparation for production. Plot details are still vague on what new adventure awaits Jones, as are details behind who Mikkelsen will play. The film is set to bow on July 29, 2022.
It should be a pretty huge, blockbuster type film.
It’ll be interesting to see if the franchise can get back on track following the less-than-stellar fourth movie, which co-starred Shia LaBeouf.
Here’s to hoping…
After the success of ‘Fleabag‘ Phoebe Waller-Bridge is the name in Hollywood. Everyone wants to work with her.
And according to Deadline, Harrison Ford really wants to work with her. Sources say she’s set to co-star opposite of Ford in the upcoming fifth installment in the Indiana Jones franchise.
The hope is to start production this summer, with Mangold meeting with other talent for other roles in preparation for production. Plot details are still vague on what new adventure awaits Jones, as are details behind who Waller-Bridge will play. The film is set to bow on July 29, 2022.
Steven Spielberg will serve as a producer and is said to be “very involved” in the process of making this film, despite handing over the directing keys to James Mangold.
As for Phoebe? Well, this is a pretty big deal, but it’s nothing she can’t handle. After having wild success in the television world, she’s been dipping her toes in the land of features.
In addition to this co-starring role in Indiana Jones 5, she’s also serving as a co-writer on the James Bond flick, No Time to Die.
Safe to say we may be watching a legend in the making here.
We got some bad news for you Shia LaBeouf fans out there. Indiana Jones 5 screenwriter David Koepp had an interview with Entertainment Weekly, and he revealed Shia’s character will not be featured in the next chapter of the franchise.
“The Shia LaBeouf character is not in the film,” he said, refusing to actually say the character’s name. He didn’t seem like he wanted to address the Shia issue, but he did talk about Harrison Ford, “Harrison plays Indiana Jones, that I can certainly say,” he revealed.
Both Koepp and Spielberg are happy with the current version of the screenplay and production could get started very soon…
“We’re plugging away at it. In terms of when we would start, I think that’s up to Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Ford. I know we’ve got a script we’re mostly happy with. Work will be endless, of course, and ongoing, and Steven just finished shooting The Post …. If the stars align, hopefully it’ll be his next film.”
As some of you may remember, Shia slammed 2008’s Crystal Skull during an interview with the Los Angeles Times in 2010. He told the paper he felt as if he dropped the ball “on the legacy that people loved and cherished,” he also claimed Ford wasn’t happy with the final product either.
Ford’s response? Well, he called Shia a “f**king idiot”
We have heard several rumors surrounding the Indiana Jones franchise these past few years. Some reports claimed they were planning on a hard reboot with a brand new cast, but now we know Disney is sticking with Harrison Ford for this fifth (and hopefully) final Indiana Jones film.
Disney also announced that Steven Spielberg will be returning to direct, and the scheduled release date has been set for July 19, 2019, so you still have a few years to prepare yourself for this one.
Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn released a statement, claiming Indiana Jones is one of the greatest heroes in cinematic history…
“Indiana Jones is one of the greatest heroes in cinematic history, and we can’t wait to bring him back to the screen in 2019. It’s rare to have such a perfect combination of director, producers, actor and role, and we couldn’t be more excited to embark on this adventure with Harrison and Steven.”
But are fans of the franchise excited? Some of them, but most people just wanted to make fun of how old Harrison Ford is. He will be turning 77 just six days before the scheduled release in July of 2019.
Here are a few examples…
What do you think? Is Ford too old?