Box Office Mojo reports that this past weekend was one of the lowest selling weekends of the year, and the Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 benefited from it by notching its third consecutive box office win.
The film earned an estimated $21.6 million, which brings the total earnings up to $257 million. In just a few days, it will become the second-highest grossing movie of the year, passing The LEGO Movie and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. In order to make it to the top spot, Mockingjay Part 1 will have to pass Guardians of the Galaxy, which earned an estimated $334 million.
And while the numbers for Mockingjay have been impressive for this year, the latest film in the franchise is still well behind Catching Fire’s earnings last year. During Catching Fire’s third week, it had earned about $78 million more than Mockingjay.
Why the lower numbers? Well, it didn’t receive the IMAX boost that Catching Fire experienced, and it’s also likely the unnecessary splitting of the final book played a major role in the dip. Even the Harry Potter franchise experienced this dip. And just like the final Harry Potter film, Mockingjay Part 2 will probably be the highest grossing film of the series.
So don’t worry Hunger Games fans! Everything will be just fine. Enjoy the box office win.
December 5-7 Box Office Numbers:
1. “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1,” $21.6 million
2. “Penguins of Madagascar,” $11.1 million
3. “Horrible Bosses 2,” $8.6 million
4. “Big Hero 6,” $8.13 million
5. “Interstellar,” $8 million
6. “Dumb and Dumber To,” $4.17 million
7. “The Theory of Everything,” $2.67 million
8. “Gone Girl,” $1.5 million.
9. “The Pyramid,” $1.35 million
10. “Birdman,” $1.15 million.